From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel randomly locking up, no error messeges, no panics nothing.
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:17:20
1 On Wednesday 14 February 2007, Ivan Lucian Aron wrote:
2 > Lately since my fresh gentoo install, i've been having a lot of
3 > problems with the kernel locking up at random.
4 > It's not a hard lockup, or a panic crash, it just stops running new
5 > processes, i get a lot of defuncts.. and dosn't let new users log in
6 > at all, sudo/su-ing either.
7 >
8 > I've checked everything, even recompiled the kernel few times,
9 > including/excluding genkernel. Tried disabling APIC by passing
10 > noapic. Nothing seems to work.
11 >
12 > I'm running it on a AMD 64 Dual-Core 3800+, Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe Mobo,
13 > 4 modules of Kingston Hardcore 3 512MB.
14 > NVIDIA 7800 GTX Vidoe Card/ with lastest nvidia-drivers
15 >
16 > (Oh and I ran memcheck for 12 hours, nothing came up)
17 >
18 > Basicly I tried everything and nothing worked.. and it appears tu run
19 > great on the livecd kernel.. and crashes at genkernel or a manually
20 > compiled kernel.
21
22 Nothing in the .config seems to jump out and bite me, so a few questions
23 for more background:
24
25 Which kernel version?
26
27 Is this a new machine, or a new install on an old machine that used to
28 work fine?
29
30 If it's the second, what was the last known good kernel that ran?
31
32 I'd like to see a 'diff -u' between the current config and the last
33 known good one
34
35 alan
39 Optimists say the glass is half full,
40 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
41 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
42
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
45 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
46 --
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list