From: Francesco Talamona <ti.liame@×××××.it>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Howto speed up compilations
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 17:46:12
1 On Monday 18 July 2005 19:07, John J. Foster wrote:
2 > Good afternoon all,
3 >
4 > A few weeks ago I read in one of the newgroups a way to greatly
5 > decrease compilation times. The author noted that this was
6 > particularly noticable when working with something like OO. The
7 > general jist of it was to create temporary file system in memory and
8 > mount your portage tmpdir there. For the life of me, I can't find
9 > that thread anymore. Does anyone do something similar to this? Are
10 > there noticable gains to be had. I have an Athlon 2800XP and 1 GB
11 > ram.
12
13 IIRC OO takes more than 3GB of space to compile. Gcc itself is quite RAM
14 demanding...
15
16 I tkink it is feasible for smaller programs.
17
18 Ciao
19 Francesco
20 --
21 Linux Version 2.6.11-gentoo-r11, Compiled #1 Thu Jun 23 05:26:18
22 One 2.2GHz AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 2GB RAM, 4308.99 Bogomips Total
23 aemaeth
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list