From: Paul Waring <paul@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 07:16:03
1 On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:40:10PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > emerge is along the same lines. "make menuconfig" is the limits of my
3 > expertise. I remember "RPM hell" with Redhat linux, trying to find an
4 > RPM package for a program I wanted, where the developer hadn't linked it
5 > against a bunch of stuff I didn't have. I can take a text-only basic
6 > system, "emerge gimp", and emerge will pull in and build, in the right
7 > order, all the necessary X libraries, GTK, etc, etc. I end up with a
8 > functional TWM "desktop". "emerge bbkeys" emerges blackbox
9 > key-controls... after first emerging blackbox. Try doing that with
10 > RPMs.
11
12 What makes you think that you can't do that with RPMs now? Seven years
13 ago they were a nightmare but things have moved on since then. The same
14 goes for deb files (can't think of any other major ones off the top of
15 my head).
16
17 Paul
18 --