From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: Fighting bit rot
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 19:04:42
1 Am 08.01.2013 18:41, schrieb Pandu Poluan:
2 >
3 > On Jan 8, 2013 11:20 PM, "Florian Philipp" <lists@×××××××××××.net
4 > <mailto:lists@×××××××××××.net>> wrote:
7 > -- snip --
8 >
9 [...]
10 >>
11 >> When you have completely static content, md5sum, rsync and friends are
12 >> sufficient. But if you have content that changes from time to time, the
13 >> number of false-positives would be too high. In this case, I think you
14 >> could easily distinguish by comparing both file content and time stamps.
15 >>
16 [...]
17 >
18 > IMO, we're all barking up the wrong tree here...
19 >
20 > Before a file's content can change without user involvement, bit rot
21 > must first get through the checksum (CRC?) of the hard disk itself.
22 > There will be no 'gradual degradation of data', just 'catastrophic data
23 > loss'.
26 Unfortunately, that's only partly true. Latent disk errors are a well
27 researched topic [1-3]. CRCs are not perfectly reliable. The trick is to
28 detect and correct errors while you still have valid backups or other
29 types of redundancy.
30
31 The only way to do this is regular scrubbing. That's why professional
32 archival solutions offer some kind of self-healing which is usually just
33 the same as what I proposed (plus whatever on-access integrity checks
34 the platform supports) [4].
35
36 > I would rather focus my efforts on ensuring that my backups are always
37 > restorable, at least until the most recent time of archival.
40 That's the point:
41 a) You have to detect when you have to restore from backup.
42 b) You have to verify that the backup itself is still valid.
43 c) You have to avoid situations where undetected errors creep into the
44 backup.
45
46 I'm not talking about a purely theoretical possibility. I have
47 experienced just that: Some data that I have kept lying around for years
48 was corrupted.
49
50 [1] Schwarz et.al: Disk Scrubbing in Large, Archival Storage Systems
51 http://www.cse.scu.edu/~tschwarz/Papers/mascots04.pdf
52
53 [2] Baker et.al: A fresh look at the reliability of long-term digital
54 storage
55 http://arxiv.org/pdf/cs/0508130
56
57 [3] Bairavasundaram et.al: An Analysis of Latent Sector Errors in Disk
58 Drives
59 http://bnrg.eecs.berkeley.edu/~randy/Courses/CS294.F07/11.1.pdf
60
61 [4]