From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resurrecting a Gentoo install
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 23:56:10
1 120120 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 14:37:06 -0800, Grant wrote:
3 >> I have an old Gentoo system that hasn't been updated or used at all
4 >> in at least 2 years. It's remote but I have SSH access.
5 > Take small steps. emerge -pv @system first
6 > and be prepared to emerge packages a few at a time.
7
8 That's always the best way to update a Gentoo system.
9 I've never done a simple 'emerge -??? world' & hoped for the best
10 & have never run off the rails since first installing Gentoo 2003.
11 'emerge -Dup world' lists all the pkgs Portage wants to update
12 & shows the order in which it plans to tackle them :
13 you can use that to do a few pkgs at a time & as you do them,
14 check the output, warnings etc.
18 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
19 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
20 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca