From: "Arttu V." <arttuv69@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard masked package
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:02:45
1 On 7/17/09, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I didn't have to do this before, so will need help to manage portage:
5 >
6 > A particular package has been hard masked for removal. I would like
7 > to either move it in my local portage, or even better emerge a more
8 > recent version. So, I found an ebuild, modified it a bit and now I am
9 > trying to emerge it, but it seems that the package.mask won't let me:
10 > =========================================
11 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
12 > - app-pda/plptools-0.13 (masked by: package.mask)
13 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
14 > # Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o> (30 May 2009)
15 > # Masked for removal in 60 days. Doesn't build, version bump pending.
16 > Designed
17 > # for really old PDA hardware (circa '90s) - will need a maintainer that has
18 > # hardware. bug 227601
19 > =========================================
20 >
21 > I am trying to emerge v1.0.8, not 0.13 as shown above. Should the
22 > above mask stop me emerging it from my local overlay? How do I allow
23 > a local overlay emerge, while respecting portage's hard mask for
24 > ebuilds in the main tree only?
25
26 man portage:
27
28 "package.unmask
29 Just like package.mask above, except here you
30 list packages you want to unmask. Useful for overriding the global
31 package.mask file (see
32 below). Note that this does not override
33 packages that are masked via KEYWORDS."
34
35 So, add app-pda/plptools to /etc/portage/package.unmask to remove
36 package.mask blocks from affecting the emerge calculation for that
37 package -- and if you're running stable arch and the package only has
38 ~arch, also add ~arch for your package in
39 /etc/portage/package.keywords (or edit your own ebuild, as in your own
40 overlay you can decide if it is "stable" or not).
41
42 If portage still doesn't offer to emerge v1.0.8 after doing those you
43 still may have something wrong with your local overlay / ebuild. Did
44 you digest/manifest the ebuild you copied to the local overlay? Is the
45 local overlay added properly in /etc/make.conf (no typos in path etc)?
48 Arttu V.