From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Trying to set up HP printer with foo2zjs
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2014 15:12:36
1 Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7 <at> gmx.de> writes:
4 > > cups + hplip is pretty robust.
5
6 > Mostly because I want a minimal system. I have cups already which KDE can
7 > use, I don’t need (or want) another tool that does the same job and that
8 > has a lot of GUI stuff that my printer doesn’t support anyway (scanners >
9 and such).
10
11 hey, I run LXDE, and as folks know, I am a minimalist, despite have
12 several machines with 8 core, 32 gigs of ram.....
13
14 So you have compiled these before, with a minimum of flags activated?
15 The know the number of flags, the smaller the binaries..... (as you know).
18 > Furthermore, it installs a tool which I don’t need and pollutes my tray
19 > and which has no off-switch. Tries to deactivate it in the past had not
20 > succeeded (as I said, non-technical reasons).
21
22 Ah, kde frustration? Been there, left that constant_change environment.
23 Personally, I would not use kde as part of my printing solution. Cups +
24 hplip work fine without kde involvement.
27 > Also, with every update it wants to download the proprietary plugin anew
28 > (which I had trouble with in the past b/c I did offline updates) or else
29 > no printo worko.
30
31 OK, so mask the offending codes?
34 > Lastly, this plugin installation doesn’t work if system python was not
35 > version 2, so every time I had to eselect python 2, install hplip, and
36 > switch back again.
37
38 Weird. I have python 3.3 set and it is fine? Ok, set hplip to use the latest
39 (stable) version of python 2.x only.
42 > You may certainly call me backward minded, but it worked in the past[TM]
43 > without hplip, and I would like that again.
44
45 Frank, I would not call you this. I enjoy running minimal systems too.
46 Did you have a ppd file setup via cups? (/etc/cups/ppd) YOu mave have a copy
47 of the old ppd config file in the cups/ppd dir?
48
49 There are a myriad of ways to set up printing. It is your choice. If you
50 go with somethhing nobody knows about, your most likely will be 'alone', imho.
51
52 What is your computer-printer interface? (usb/eth/par/ser/rf)?
53
54 Do have sys-apps/hwids installed?
55
56 With hplip, I only set these flags: X hpcups libnotify, but my printer is
57 ethernet.
60 On a side note, you may want to try lxqt-0.8.0 in a few weeks, when it
61 is released.....
64 James