From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] minimal / stand-alone mail daemon?
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 00:51:29
1 Hello again,
2
3 it's no secret that I'm partial to the Exim MTA and I love to teach it
4 new tricks. However running Exim on a workstation (mobile or not) is
5 serious overkill. Exim compares to sendmail in power but also in the
6 complexity of its configuration. Most of this power is wasted when all
7 it's doing is delivering output from cron and at. Perhaps more
8 importantly, though, it tends to assume its host is always online and
9 DNS is available to resolve arbitrary domain names; this can cause
10 misbehavior when the assumption fails. I just made a change in the
11 configuration and suddenly my desktop started stalling for 20 seconds on
12 boot; my investigation, which was longer than I'd have liked, showed
13 that it was due to dnsmasq trying to answer a query from Exim - and
14 failing because the network interface was not fully up when the query
15 was made.
16
17 I know that there's a number of "minimal" MTAs which are supposedly
18 suitable for the workstation role - such as nullmailer or ssmtp. But,
19 they all seem to want to completely avoid dealing with local mailboxes
20 and deliver everything to a hub server. What I need is just the
21 opposite - a mailer that is completely ignorant of networking but
22 understands mail store formats and local aliases so it can deliver
23 output from daemons, even if no network is available. Is there any such
24 thing? Of course a gentoo package would be great but I can
25 self-maintain too if necessary.
26
27 And if you don't know of one, I'd like to hear how you deal with this.
30 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
31 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
32 Don't clear-text sign: http://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html