From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Blocking only unsuccessful ssh connections
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 17:42:28
1 Hi,
2
3 On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:33:15 +0200
4 "José González Gómez" <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com> wrote:
5
6 > I've got a virtual private server hosted somewhere and they're blocking me
7 > because their intrusion detection system detects 10 ssh connections in less
8 > than 2 minutes from my current IP. My question is: is it possible for an
9 > intrusion detection system to differentiate between successful and
10 > unsuccessful ssh connections so they don't block me? Of course all my
11 > connections are successful.
12
13 Well of course. It takes a bit more work, though. What are you trying?
14 Proving to the hoster that they could do better? I guess they know that
15 already (and are happy to bill you for better service).
16
17 In short: length of conversation would be an indication. Doesn't work
18 for simple firewalls that don't really work on full TCP streams. And I
19 guess that's the reason why your hoster doesn't opt for something more
20 elaborated.
21
22 Maybe you should just run ssh on a different port?
23
24 -hwh
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list