From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Decoding / encoding mp3 files
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 18:46:20
1 On 9/1/06, Hemmann, Volker Armin <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > And recoding: mp3 is a lossy format. If you turn them into wavs you have not
3 > only wavs based on reduced information, you remove the stuff that makes mp3
4 > sound 'better' than they are. If you encode them again, you are removing more
5 > information.
6
7 Minor technical correction: wav formats are not even compressed, much
8 less lossy. So converting from an mp3 to a wav (which is really just
9 PCM audio with a header attached) is very much like playing the mp3
10 through your speakers. There should be no difference between playing
11 a wav generated from the mp3 and playing the mp3 itself.
12
13 But the point of what you said is correct...the wav file will not have
14 the same quality as the original recording that the mp3 was generated
15 from, and an mp3 generated from it will have even lower quality.
16 Although I suspect that most people couldn't tell the difference
17 between a 1st gen and 3rd gen mp3 if the bitrate is high enough. When
18 I download stuff from iTunes, record it to CD, and then rip to ogg, I
19 certainly can't tell any difference between the 3 versions.
20
21 To answer the OP, I've used sox in the past to convert between
22 formats. It can also apply lots of other transformations (noise
23 filters, volume normalization, tempo adjustments, etc) to the files.
24
25 -Richard
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list