From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 06:20:44
1 On Mar 28, 2012 11:27 AM, "Mike Edenfield" <kutulu@××××××.org> wrote:
4 > Well, for one, the initramfs solution is not generally considered "ugly"
5 > except by a select vocal few who object to it on vague, unarticulated
6 > grounds.
7
8 Check out the email from William Kenworth in this mailing list; he's having
9 trouble with initramfs being a blackbox.
10
11 As a (mostly) server guy, I much prefer using a whitebox.
12
13 I happen to have /usr on a VHD, so I don't need an initramfs for booting
14 (that, plus my production servers are all udev-less). If push comes to
15 shove, what I'll do is create a vestigial /usr in the root partition, and
16 have it overlaid by mounting the actual root over it. Synchronizing can be
17 automated by bindmounting root, after which I can access its (vestigial)
18 usr directory.
19
20 Rgds,