From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 18:08:09
1 On Sat, 3 Sep 2005 15:56:34 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > In general I'll have to take the unpopular position and say I
4 > disagree. All those potential converts are just like you - They don't
5 > run desktops they run apps - and because they are so entrenched with
6 > dollars already spent on Microsoft Windows, Microsoft email, Microsoft
7 > Office, Quicken,, etc., they won't come just because they can save
8 > $400 buying a new PC.
9 >
10 > To become a Linux user is a commitment. People don't make new
11 > commitments lightly, and making a light commitment to Linux is doomed
12 > to failure. It's far too hard to use. Imagine knowing absolutely
13 > nothing about any Linux editor, nor even terminal commands, and trying
14 > to configure networking. It's nigh on impossible.
15
16 You're confusing using with administering. Yes, administering a Linux
17 system takes more knowledge than clicking a few buttons in Windows, but
18 using a correctly setup system is no harder with Linux, even Gentoo, than
19 Windows. My partner is about as computer-illiterate as they come, but she
20 uses a Gentoo system. She runs apps, not a desktop and not an operating
21 system. She uses KDE, not because she prefers it, but because it's what I
22 use, so it was the easiest one for me to show her around. But as long as
23 her mailer, browser and office programs work, she doesn't care what's
24 underneath. This is someone so technophobic that she cannot use a VCR,
25 but Linux is not hard to use for her.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Forgive your enemies. But hit them a few times first.