From: the <the.guard@××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo installation, network adapter not supported
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 08:52:52
1 On 06/29/13 12:16, Zind wrote:
2 > hi all,
3 > I am new to Gentoo. I came across some problems in the Gentoo
4 > installation process.
5 >
6 > I got a relatively new laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Y400.
7 > The Gentoo iso I choose is: admincd-amd64-20130620.iso, from:
8 > http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20130620/hardened/
9 > After I made the LiveUSB, disabling the UEFI boot, I finally boot into
10 > the Gentoo kernel. But I could not connect to the network.
11 > Using the `ifconfig -a` command, I can only see the loopback interface: lo.
12 > Using the `lspci` command, I can see the two network adapters:
13 > (1) the Ethernet adapter
14 > Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
15 > (2) the wireless adapter
16 > Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230
17 > Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 BGN
18 > (The two network adapters both work well under Windows 8.)
19 >
20 > After several times of STFW, I can confirm it's a network adapter driver
21 > support issue: lacks of coresponding network adapter drivers.
22 > For the AR8161 network adapter, it requires the alx kernal module: alx.ko.
23 > Previously, I thought I could at least compile this driver by myself,
24 > but soon I found it lacks of build-essential packages, too. :-(
25 >
26 > For the wireless network adapter, I can find
27 > iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode(coresponding to Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 BGN
28 > adapter) under /lib/firmware, I tried the `modprobe iwlwifi` command,
29 > still doesn't work. Weird.
30 >
31 > Uh... I don't know what to do next to continue the installation.
32 > Any suggestion or advice is appreciated.
33 >
34 > PS.
35 > several links which I found useful:
36 > http://askubuntu.com/questions/165192/how-do-i-install-drivers-for-the-atheros-ar8161-ethernet-controller
37 > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2089512
38 > http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi
39
40 Maybe this can be helpful in some way?
41 http://blechtog.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/gentoo-ethernet-atheros-ar8161-gigabit-ethernet-using-compat-wireless-module-alx/
45 Stop talking and start compiling.
46 Linux user #557897