From: Richard Ruth <richgentoo@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] What STABLE nForce 680i based motherboard?
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 04:11:03
1 What STABLE nForce 680i based motherboard?
2
3 I am about to build a new Gentoo system, most of the components I have already chosen and are listed at the end of this post. (It will be a Core 2 Duo E6700 based system, nForce 680i chipset with one GeForce 8800 GTS card.) For gaming (windoze) there seems to be several good motherboard choices. The issue is that while I will get in a gaming session in Windows every few days, the rest of the time the system will be running Gentoo (64-bit) and the Linux sessions need to be stable for tasks like multi-day runs of POV-Ray (and lots of compiling, of course.) Because of the stability requirement I don't plan to over-clock, except for using EPP: (so I want an nForce based system and Corsair memory.) I have read about some great motherboards for gaming but also about some stability issues with some of those boards.
4
5 With the components listed below, what motherboard(s) would anyone recommend? (If you can think of better components, please mention those as well.) Anyone have any links to good nForce 680i mother-board reviews?
6
7 PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 power supply
8
9 Two pair of Corsair TWIN2X2048-8500C5D (4GB RAM total)
10
11 Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 with Thermalright Ultra-120 heat sink (and Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 120mm fan)
12
13 Two Seagate Barracuda ES SATA 3.0Gb/s 500-GB Hard Drive
14
15 One BFG Tech 8800 GTS 640 MB
16
17 pcHDTV HD-5500 HDTV card (http://pchdtv.com/)