From: Christoph Gysin <cgysin@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dmesg for Previous Boot?
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:02:59
1 Ian Brandt wrote:
2 > Is it possible to get the dmesg for the boot prior to the current one?
3
4 No it isn't. dmesg shows the ring buffer contents of the running kernel.
5
6 > I'm trying to remotely upgrade from the 2.4 to 2.6 kernel. I followed
7 > the migration guide, but I got something wrong because my server
8 > didn't come back up after reboot. Fortunately I used lilo -R to boot
9 > to the 2.6 kernel, so using remote power cycle I was able to get back
10 > to my working 2.4. The problem is now I have no idea how to tell what
11 > went wrong?
12
13 Perhaps your kernel failed to mount the root filesystem. Where should it write
14 the messages to in this case? ;-)
15
16 You could add a serial console to the host, which lets you catch the output
17 generated by the kernel during boot.
18
19 Christoph
20 --