From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 from another machine
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:02:29
1 On Monday 21 May 2007, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I'm in the process of setting up a linux box as my desktop machine.
4 > I've got X up and running, am about to do the kde install, but have a
5 > question regarding "remote" X windows.
6 >
7 > I have the situation where I have to connect to a remote, it's still
8 > in my office but X will be running across the network, Sun server so
9 > that I can run a CAD system. In the past I've done this from Windows
10 > using telnet and an X emulator, exporting the DISPLAY variable etc,
11 > but now I want to be able to do this from the linux box. I've tried
12 > what I've done under Windows in the past but the Sun machine can't
13 > find my X server, even though I'm in a graphical X window when I type
14 > the commands to initiate the remote X session.
15 >
16 > My question is, is there anything "special" that I have to do so
17 > that the linux X server is listening to "the outside world" so that
18 > the Sun box can create the connection and get X displaying on my
19 > linux box? It wouldn't surprise me if I've got something wrong, it's
20 > midnight and I've already had way too much chocolate, but I thought I
21 > would post this question before I go to bed in the hope that someone
22 > might have an insight.
23
24 ssh -X <username>@<host>
25 from the Linux to the Sun machine. Then run the X-client in that session
26 and it'll display on the local Xserver. If you want something a tad
27 more secure, replace -X with -Y.
28
29 Refer man ssh
30
31 When doing it the old way by just telnet/ssh style logins then set
32 DISPLAY and use xhost, you will probably run into your Xserver refusing
33 non-local connections.... the display manager is responsible for this,
34 and you will have to dig into it's configuration and find the line it
35 uses to start X proper, then remove this argument:
36
37 -nolisten tcp
38
39 alan
42 Optimists say the glass is half full,
43 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
44 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
45
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
48 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
49 --
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list