From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can Portage be used with FreeBSD or NetBSD?
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2021 14:41:08
1 On Tuesday, 1 June 2021 10:59:27 BST Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 > Can Portage be used as a package manager with anything other than Linux?
3
4 Yes, it used to be, but from what I know the *BSD projects were abandoned due
5 to lack of maintainers.
8 > I like some features of Portage; think it might be better than FreeBSD ports
9 > or NetBSD pkgsrc, or is just a case of the grass being greener on the other
10 > side?
11
12 Have a look here for historical references in this effort:
13
14 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_BSD
17 > I like the option "--with-bdeps=y", wish FreeBSD's synth and poudriere had
18 > that option.
19 >
20 > But I don't want to use Portage where it would be incompatible.
21 >
22 > Portage's assumption of location of python binary and /bin/bash are contrary
23 > to anything non-Linux, or even a Linux that uses another shell such as dash
24 > or mksh.
25 >
26 > Tom