From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Regular user can't mount/unmount mtpfs; root is OK
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:52:38
1 On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:23:47 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2
3 > I'm a total noobie at mtpfs/FUSE. My "excellent adventure" started
4 > yesterday when I got a clearout 7" tablet, and took a sample photo, and
5 > tried mounting the tablet... no /dev/sdb to be found anywhere. I went
6 > to "Mr. Google" for help, and found out that MTP is the "new and
7 > improved" way of doing things.
8
9 Improved, maybe, necessary, definitely. The old way of using mass storage
10 meant the storage had to be unmounted on the phone first, which could
11 break running applications.
12
13 > So I installed mtpfs. It works great
14 > for root, but a regular user can't mount the tablet. The mtpfs command
15 > immediately returns to the command prompt, with no error message or any
16 > other info.
17
18 I has problems with mtpfs and switched to jmtpfs, which works much
19 better. Or you can install SSHd on the tablet and use scp/sshfs.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 The Computer is the logical advancement of humankind:
26 intelligence without morality.