From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-user] How to shred without deleting /dev/*
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 13:05:25
1 > From:: Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net>
2 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
3 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to shred without deleting /dev/*
4 > Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:35:28 +0200
5 >
6 > Why was it deleted? Did you run the command as root?
7
8 Well, yes because when I run it as a plain user I am denied access:
9 ====================
10 $ shred -u -v /dev/fd0
11 shred: /dev/fd0: Permission denied
12 ====================
13
14 > What's wrong with good old dd? How about
15 > $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/fd0
16 > You can also use /dev/random if it has to be more secure. For even more
17 > security run it multiple times in a loop.
18
19 There's nothing wrong with dd, but I see no reason to create my own script to extend the basic dd functionality. I would rather use shred which does everything I want it to do - if only I can avoid the deletion if the device node itself.
20 --
21 Regards,
22 Mick
23