From: Lorenzo Bandieri <lorenzo.bandieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Konsole issue
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 10:28:11
1 > emerge smartmontools
2 >
3 > then when that is done, do this:
4 >
5 > smartctl -t long /dev/sd<drive letter here>
6 >
7 > When you do that, it should print a message that tells when the test will
8 > complete.  It is usually a 24 hour format thing too.  This can run while the
9 > drive is in use too.  Sometime after that time, run this command:
10 >
11 > smartctl -l selftest /dev/sd<drive letter here>
12 >
13 > That should tell you the results of the test.  If it says it passed, this is
14 > good.  If it reports a problem, well it is not good.  If you are lucky, it
15 > will be like a recent problem I had and reformatting will fix it.  It was a
16 > weird problem but beats replacing a drive.
19 I'm just wondering: can a tool like strace (or similar) be helpul in
20 diagnose the problem?
21 Maybe it could detect if konsole is trying to access a file that has
22 too strict permissions, couldn't it? Just wondering, I never really
23 used strace.
24
25 Lorenzo
28 Nothing is interesting if you're not interested.