From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] backing up a partition
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2018 08:32:38
1 I want to make a copy of a partition which I can use to replace it,
2 if some catastrophe damages the partition or wipes it out ;
3 it needs to be byte-byte identical, incl all permissions.
4
5 Can I use 'dd' ? -- eg 'dd if=/mnt/xxx of=/mnt/yyy',
6 where the partition has been mounted at /mnt/xxx
7 & a USB stick has been mounted at /mnt/yyy . Will that do the job ?
8
9 There seems also to be an issue re 'bs=<some number of bytes>' :
10 what size is best ? i plan to use USB 3.0 for quicker copying.
11
12 Does it matter how the USB stick is formatted ?
13 Can I use a raw stick with the usual default VFAT formatting ?
14 Might it be better to replace that with a Linux FS, eg Ext2 ?
18 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
19 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
20 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca