From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange eix-sync
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 16:07:50
1 On 9 July 2013, at 18:28, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > ...
3 > receiving incremental file list
4 > timestamp.chk
5 > rsync: failed to set permissions on "/tmp/.tmpNBwK63.n6Acda": Function not implemented (38)
6
7 I can't say the problem is related to xattrs, but when posting an error with a message like this you need to demonstrate, for example, that the /tmp directory exists and that you can write to it.
8
9 I mean, it's pretty obvious that you'd get this error if the directory wasn't writable, right?
10
11 So posting here you need to *show* it's writable.
12
13 So please post the output of:
14
15 ls -ld /tmp/
16 ls -l /tmp/
17 touch /tmp/foobar123
18 chmod 777 /tmp/foobar123
19 ls -l /tmp/foobar123
20 rm -v /tmp/foobar123
21
22 I would also try testing whether you can sync using the `emerge --sync` command, instead.
23
24 I would guess that you're escalating to root permissions when using emerge and that the eix user has insufficient write permissions for some reason.
25
26 No offence, mate, but a Gentoo user shouldn't need to be told this. You surely have a couple of years of Linux experience, so you know how to create and list a file; even if you don't know the `chmod` command, you must know what permissions are and that they sometimes prevent an unprivileged user from doing stuff. Aren't you even curious to know if the /tmp directory exists? Page 1 of "How to Ask Questions The Smart Way" says to tell us what you've done to investigate the problem so far. I can't promise that the steps I've suggested will help identify or fix the problem, but they definitely need doing to show the filesystem exists and doesn't have a write-protect switch accidentally flipped - failure to provide this information implies you're sitting helplessly at home waiting for us to tell you all the answers, even the basics.
27
28 Stroller.