From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 10:06:02
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 04:15:23 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> You missed the point. One of the first thing emerge will do is to
5 >>> uncompress the package. At this time, all the files are cached in RAM.
6 >>> Hence, everything needed for the build/compilation will come from the
7 >>> cache like it would do with tmpfs.
8 >>>
9 >> You miss this point not me. I *cleared* that cache. From kernel.org:
10 > Sorry Dale, but you are missing the point. You cleared the cache before
11 > running emerge, then ran emerge. The first thing emerge did was unpack
12 > the tarball and populate the disk cache. All clearing the disk cache did
13 > was make sure there was plenty of space to cache the new data, thus
14 > speeding up the process.
18 Then explain to me why it was at times slower while on tmpfs? Trust me,
19 I ran this test many times and in different orders and it did NOT make
20 much if any difference.
21
22 I might add, the cache on the drive I was using is nowhere near large
23 enough to cache the tarball for the package. Heck, the cache on my
24 current system drive is only 8Mbs according to hdparm. That is not much
25 since I tested using much larger packages. You can't cache files larger
26 than the cache.
27
28 Do I need to run a test, reboot, run the test again to show this is not
29 making much if any difference? I mean, really? o_O
30
31 Dale
32
36 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!