From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2008 01:08:28
1 On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 12:42 -0400, Steven Lembark wrote:
2 > > I tried ALT + SysRq + EISUB today on my MythTV backend server which
3 > > has been crashing lately. Unfortunately it's crashing so badly that
4 > > even at the server's keyboard this didn't work.
5 > >
6 > > I guess my weekend fate of building a new server is sealed...
7 >
8 > Have fun.
9 >
10 > Check out motherboards with watchdog capability
11 > and enable it in the kernel.
12
13 watchdogs are nice, and linux makes them ultra-easy to program, but of
14 course if your watchdog task dies, then the machine effectively hits the
15 reset button for you - no nice shutdown whatsoever! (Which is what you
16 want in a hard lock-up, but not if your programming skills are the cause
17 of the problem :)
18
19 cya,
23 Evil is that which one believes of others. It is a sin to believe evil
24 of others, but it is seldom a mistake.
25 -- H.L. Mencken
28 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list