From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fighting over keyboard layouts
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2011 22:05:43
1 On Thursday 11 Aug 2011 21:14:59 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I've just spent the last 4 days or so trying to get an old laptop up to
5 > date. It hasn't been sync'd for at least 8 months so you can imagine the
6 > hell it's been.
7 >
8 > Anyway, I've managed to get everything nicely updated but there's one
9 > problem that I just can't fix or find relevant discussion about.
10 >
11 > My /etc/conf.d/keymaps defines my keyboard layout as "uk" and this works
12 > fine in the console. Unfortunately, in gnome the keyboard is resolutely
13 > stuck on US. I can add the English UK layout in the keyboard preferences,
14 > and it looks fine when I first select it. However they layout doesn't
15 > change and when I "Show" the English UK layout, it shows a standard US
16 > layout.
17 >
18 > No matter what I do (which admittedly isn't very much as I don't know X
19 > stuff that well), I cannot get a decent keyboard layout in gnome.
20 >
21 > Any tips would be appreciated before I rip all the keys off and get the
22 > super glue out.
23 >
24 > Thanks
25
26 Edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and add something like this:
27 =====================================
28 Section "InputClass"
29 Identifier "keyboard catchall"
30 Driver "evdev"
31 MatchIsKeyboard "on"
32 MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
33 Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
34 Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
35 EndSection
36 =====================================
37
38 Or add similar lines to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf;
39
40 Or copy your /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf to
41 /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf and then add the lines above.
44 PS. There may be a Gnome way of achieving the same, but I only have cursory
45 experience of Gnome so somebody else should advise on that.
46 --
47 Regards,
48 Mick