From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: eno1 became back eth0
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 16:21:28
1 On 2019-11-13, Alarig Le Lay <alarig@××××××××××.fr> wrote:
2
3 > PS: Old interface names were way more guessable than the new ones (eth0
4 > used to work 99% of time). I really don’t understand why someone woke a
5 > morning a though “we should randomise this, it’s too much stable”.
6
7 The way it was explained to me was that the old way fell down in some
8 situations with multiple interfaces. Interfaces were named in the
9 order they were disovered by the kernel during startup. For some
10 sorts of NICs (e.g. PCI) the discovery order is repeatible, so no
11 problems.
12
13 However, for some sorts of interfaces (e.g. USB attached devices), the
14 discovery order isn't always repeatable. The new scheme was
15 implemented to make sure than every time you reboot you get interface
16 names that corresponded to the same physical RJ45 jacks they did the
17 last time.
20 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! If I pull this SWITCH
21 at I'll be RITA HAYWORTH!!
22 gmail.com Or a SCIENTOLOGIST!