From: Ian Kester-Haney <ikesterhaney@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Recovering data from a formatted hard disk
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 18:27:14
1 All very interesting, the fact is that a hard drive is a physical
2 medium and the magnetic field is very malleable. It is very possible
3 to recover the data even if some random trash has been written over
4 it. The way hard drives use elaborate algorithyms to 'guess' the
5 contents with huge accuracy suggests that any approach is possible.
6 This one reason why real security experts run multiple ie 14 passes at
7 least with random data and very likely use Electromagnets of extreme
8 power to reduce the chance of data recovery.
9
10 While the practicality is not there to recover data that has been
11 overwritten a couple of times is economically untennable, I'm sure the
12 NSA can do it if it really wanted your data, of course you would have
13 to REALLY PISS THEM OFF to force their hand. Data recovery firms
14 could do it if you paid them enough.