From: billyd <billydw@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] No longer getting elog messages
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 02:41:20
1 Thanks for the reply, Alan.
2
3 My hard drive space is adequate with at least 50% space available on the
4 partition where /var lives.
5
6 There are 2 versions of python installed but 2.6.5-r1 is the active one.
7 dev-lang/python: 2.6.5-r1, 3.1.2-r2
8
9 The Portage version is 2.1.8.3.
10
11 I have attached results of my emerge --info for reference also.
12
13 I am very perplexed about this especially since I had not made any changes to
14 my systems. Recall that this happened to all 3 of my Gentoo installs, not on
15 just one. One install is on a different computer. The 2 on the same computer
16 use different partitions.
17
18 I estimate the problem began about 2 weeks ago, but I can't be sure. I am
19 aware that not all emerged packages generate error, log or warn messages. I
20 just realized that nothing was being written to /var/log/portage/elog on any
21 of my 3 Gentoo installs. Then I noticed that duplicate emerge logs were being
22 written to /var/log/portage for each package that was emerge with # uNDv
23 world. I had never seen that before.
24
25 I suspect that some package that was emerged approximately 2 weeks ago has
26 caused this change, but I still haven't found what has happened. If this were
27 only on one of my Gentoo installs, I would suspect something with that
28 computer. But when I update with -uNDv world, I do it on all 3 the same day.
29 Now all 3 have the same identical problem.
30
31 For what it is worth, I am the only one with access to these computers so I
32 know it is nothing I have done. I must have missed some message or warning.
33
34 Also, when I do the # emerge -uNDv world, and the emerge finishes, there are
35 no errors reported in the Terminal - just a clean finish.
36
37 I have seen some posts on the forums about people having problems with this:
38
39 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save mail"
40
41 However, I don't use mail there - my entry in /etc/make.conf is:
42
43 PORTAGE_ELOG_SYSTEM="save"
44
45 I wonder if this could be a portage issue - maybe I should downgrade to a
46 previous portage version.
47
48 This is all very strange to me.
49