From: Justin Findlay <jfindlay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] linux make modules fails
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 04:49:13
1 On 5/18/06, Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > There are a lot more "make -f scripts/" lines, and a lot more modules
4 > on the modpost command, than what I included here.
5
6 I don't get anything with modpost after this:
7
8 Building modules, stage 2.
9 make -rR -f /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-rc4/scripts/Makefile.modpost
10 scripts/mod/modpost -m -a -o
11 /usr/src/linux-2.6.17-rc4/Module.symvers vmlinux
12
13 > What is interesting to me is that your build didn't iterate through
14 > the other obj= lines that I have.
15
16 It did, but I aggressively trimmed them. (-:
17
18 > Hmm, I see you are building an x86_64 kernel...is this being
19 > cross-compiled? Are the other environments x86_64 architecture as
20 > well? I guess posting your emerge --info output would be useful
21 > here...
22
23 No cross compiling. This kernel is for the machine that's compiling
24 it. I first noticed this when I tried to install
25 vanilla-sources-2.6.16.1, and I've also tried to compile a vanilla
26 2.6.14 kernel from kernel.org with the same dissapearing modules
27 trick, so I think this has something to do with a system utility
28 having been updated and not working as expected. I've been trying to
29 find a clue to what it might be from the kernel's makefiles.
32 Justin
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list