From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Java apps in 64 bit JVM?
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:39:13
1 Hi all,
2
3 The company has a Juniper Secure Connect VPN and I run amd64. The process is:
4 log in via a web page in a browser, click a button and the page starts a java
5 APP to create the ssl tunnel - a full blown Swing app, not a mere applet.
6
7 I've only ever got this Java app to run in 32 bit Firefox with the java-x86-
8 emul package. 64 bit Firefox, Konqueror, Opera all fail. I've tried sun-jdk,
9 sun-jre (nsplugin and nsplugin-2), blackdown and icedtea.
10
11 The only thing that works is firefox-bin with a 32bit jvm. The app doesn't do
12 much in the way of logging so I don't know why it's failing. This strikes me
13 as odd:
14
15 A java app is bytecode that is independent of platform. It should make no
16 difference whether a 32bit or 64bit jvm executes the bytecode as the format of
17 the Java Virtual Machine and it's bytecode is constant.
18
19 Surely?
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com