From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building packages in different prefix without rebuilding system packages
Date: Thu, 14 May 2020 08:08:08
1 On Thursday, 14 May 2020 06:13:33 BST Dale wrote:
2 > François-Xavier Carton wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Is there a way of installing packages in a different prefix while still
6 > > using system packages? I've tried setting EPREFIX, however doing that
7 > > will install all dependencies in the prefix, even if there are already
8 > > installed in the system.
9 > >
10 > > I was hoping to install some packages in user directories, but I also
11 > > don't want to duplicate the packages installed globally. For example,
12 > > most packages eventually depend on gcc, which I definitely don't want to
13 > > compile twice. So ideally, only dependencies that are not installed
14 > > globally should be pulled in.
15 > >
16 > > I was not able to find a way of doing that, but I feel like it shouldn't
17 > > be too hard, because EPREFIX almost does what I want. Does someone know
18 > > if it's possible without too much tweaking?
19 > >
20 > > Thanks,
21 > > -François-Xavier
22 >
23 > I'm clueless on EPREFIX but if you want to avoid compiling a package
24 > twice, would the -k option help? If you have portage set to save the
25 > binaries you compiled before, it would install from that instead of
26 > compiling things twice.
27 >
28 > Just thought I'd mention just in case it would help.
29 >
30 > Dale
31 >
32 > :-) :-)
33
34 The whole concept of EPREFIX is predicated on installing a Gentoo system
35 within a different path/filesystem than the / of the host installation and
36 being able to run it as a non-root user. As I understand it, using libraries
37 from the main system and potentially altering them in the process is not going
38 to work without changing Gentoo's eprefix intended design.
39
40 It should be possible to change the prefix paths selectively, in particular
41 the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to link binaries from within the prefix to libraries in
42 the host system, but I'm not sure what privileges are needed to install/run
43 such a hybrid linkage and how an update of the host system will break
44 installed packages within the EPREFIX and vice versa. We're talking of a
45 Frankenstein build here with the potential of install operations on one system
46 would be breaking the other, including portage itself.
47
48 With containerisation of applications there may be easier ways to achieve what
49 François-Xavier is looking for. I am thinking of running sandboxed
50 applications in the likes of flatpack, snap, zero-install, appimage and
51 whatever else may have been devised lately. However, with these systems you
52 end up using what's already been developed and any static libraries their devs
53 considered desirable. If you want a bespoke installation optimised for your
54 hardware and chosen compilation flags, then you are probably looking to
55 develop a containerised application for your own use.
56
57 Someone more knowledgeable in both Gentoo's EPREFIX project and containerised
58 apps should chime in soon to offer more helpful advice.