From: Rohit Sharma <bhavhit@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Help : need grub,conf file : kernel wouldn't boot
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 17:28:04
1 Francesco Talamona wrote:
2
3 >1) Are you aware that you are using a comma inside the file name in the subject and in the message? It sould be grub.conf, not grub,conf.
6 Yes Francesco, the comma was a typo on my part. Things are they way I
7 have tried to convey, on my machine.
8
9 >What name do you use in the filesystem?
10 >2) are you sure (hd0,2) is /dev/hda2? IIRC hda2 translates to (hd0,1)
13 You are right. What I meant to say is that my / is /dev/hda2 and /boot
14 is /dev/hda3 [which should be consistent with what I said].
15
16 The problem that I have, can be more concisely put this way. Grub won't
17 honour real_root=/dev/hda2 from my conf file and after mounting /boot
18 kernel does it's business and waits for real_root. Grub/ kernel ? fail
19 here and say that they can not detect /dev/hda2 and ask me for the root
20 device.
21
22 I type /dev/hda2 by hand, every time I boot, and it happily continues
23 booting the rest of the box from there.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Rohoit
27 --