From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anybody using lightdm?
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:05:11
1 >>> I switched to SLiM and I like it but I wish there were a way to
2 >>> restart and/or shutdown from the login screen.  I had to emerge xterm
3 >>> to make it work BTW.
4 >>
5 >> Could someone point out what is bad about gdm?
6 >> Does it matter that much?
7 >>
8 >> What advantages does it have to use lightdm/slim/something else?
9 >>
10 >> Does it matter on modern powerful machines? Less packages to merge?
11 >
12 > More dependencies, more moving parts, more stuff to build, more stuff
13 > to break. And that's just a principle-driven overview. I don't have
14 > any systems not running slim right now, so I can't do a direct
15 > comparison without installing and configuring gdm.
16 >
17 > The only significant use I might require gdm for would be XDMCP
18 > support...slim doesn't appear to support that.
19
20 Same with multi-seat. GDM and lightdm both support it but slim doesn't AFAIK.
21
22 - Grant