From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Creating binary packages before updating them
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 11:36:03
1 On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:18:03 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > Normally, when I'm about to update an important package, I back it up
4 > first using quickpkg. I'm often in a situation though where many
5 > important packages are being updated in a world update. Normally, I
6 > have to manually quickpkg every one of them.
7 >
8 > Is there a way to tell emerge to do this on its own? That is, create
9 > binary packages of every package that it is replacing?
10
11 You could parse the emerge output to build a list of packages and pass
12 that to quickpkg. You could even do his as a script
13 in /etc/portage/postsync.d to have it done automatically, but the
14 simplest long term solution is to add buildpkg to FEATURES, then you
15 don't have to try to anticipate which packages you need to backup.
16
17 You can process all existing packages with
18
19 quickpkg \*/\*
20
21 I suspect you could also do this be defining a custom src_setup function
22 in /etc/portage/bashrc - FEATURES="buildpkg" is a lot less hassle unless
23 you are really tight on disk space.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 If ignorance is bliss, you must be orgasmic.