From: Maxim Wexler <maxim.wexler@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] eee PC crashes on shutdown.
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 18:27:05
1 Hi group,
2
3 Here's a switch: a computer that refuses to turn OFF. When I open a
4 root console and enter shutdown -h now my eee 900A Asus Intel-n270
5 freezes with the message:
6
7 The system is going down for a system halt NOW!
8
9 Looking at ctrl alt F12, after the usual, normal messages there is this:
10
11 <...>
12 :mtrr:no MTRR for d0000000,10000000 found
13 :cpufreqd: term_handler :Caught TERM signal (Terminated), forcing exit.
14
15 and at ctrl alt F7 I see:
16
17 <...>
18 *Stopping CPU Frequency Daemon ... [ok]
19 *Storing ALSA Mixer Levels ... [ok]
20 *Killing processes using ALSA ... [ok]
21 *Unloading ALSA modules ... [ok]
22
23 This happened yesterday too when I clicked the 'quit' button on the
24 Xfce4 desktop, so I tried it manually from a console to see if it
25 would make any difference. Not a bit of it.
26
27 Now I have to hold down the off/on button and pray the SSD doesn't
28 croak when I reboot. Very scary messages about non-contiguous files
29 and a forced reboot.
30
31 FWIW this only started after installing alsa-utils and configuring the
32 sound card(Intel 82801G) according to alsa-guide.xml