From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Setting domainname doesn't work.
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:52:15
1 On Friday 13 July 2007 12:09, Elias Probst wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I never stumbled across this, because I mostly use DHCP for my network
6 > setup.
7 >
8 > It looks like it's not possible setting the domainname on Gentoo using
9 > dns_domain_eth0="foobar"
10 > or
11 > dns_domain="foobar"
12 > In /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 or /etc/conf.d/net
13
14 The file is /etc/conf.d/net, not /etc/conf.d/net.eth0 (you're probably
15 confusing it with the initscript under /etc/init.d).
16
17 > This variable seems to be just ignored and I couldn't track down so
18 > far where exactly this happens.
19 >
20 > Did anyone experience this too and knows how to make it work again?
21 > I'm using baselayout-1.12.9-r2
22
23 If you're talking about the "hostname -d" command and the \O parameter
24 inside /etc/issue not working, then this is an old problem (for me at
25 least).
26 To get it working, I had to put the fqdn of the box into /etc/hosts, eg
27
28 a.b.c.d host.domain.tld host
29
30 since configuring the domain as per the handbook (ie,
31 inside /etc/conf.d/net using dns_domain_lo) has never worked for me. To
32 be honest, a few paragraphs below, the handbook also tells you to put
33 the fqdn into /etc/hosts.
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list