From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xine - no sound on DVDs - solved (sort of)
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:57:07
1 On 9/26/07, Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >
4 > afaik those are all default values, except audio.alsa_hw_mixer:0.
5 > I don't think, that's a problem.
6 > Does xine play every sound through the wrong device or only DVDs (5.1)?
7 > Maybe there's a stale asoundrc in your home, somehow
8 > redirecting "plug:surround51:0" to the second device?
9 >
10 > I'm out of ideas now, it seems :(
11 >
12 > Regards,
13 > Michael
16 Hi Michael,
17 Thanks for responding.
18
19 As I stated in the original thread, long since cast the the email
20 bone pile, the only application that seems to have a problem on this
21 machine is xine. Aqualung (an audio file & CD player) sends audio to
22 the Intel chip. mplayer, playing DVDs, sends audio to the Intel chip.
23 Only xine by default is sending audio to the external USB converter.
24 The problem in xine is not specific to DVDs. It does the same thing
25 playing CDs.
26
27 Note that with Aqualung I can reroute audio to the external USB
28 converter by purposely routing audio to the ':1' sound device, exactly
29 as Alsa should perform I believe.
30
31 As far as I can tell the machine has neither an asound.state file
32 or any .asoundrc files:
33
34 dragonfly ~ # slocate .asoundrc
35 dragonfly ~ # slocate asound.state
36 /var/lib/alsa/asound.state
37 dragonfly ~ #
38
39 Also, the problem is not specific to a user. It happens in my
40 account, my wife's account and my son's account. It seems to be a
41 global issue.
42
43 As background, I have a second machine with dual sound cards. It
44 has the same generic Intel HDA audio device in it. It's second sound
45 card is an RME HDSP9652. xine works fine on that machine. Audio goes
46 to the Intel chip as it should.
47
48 I'm at a complete loss on this one. It's starting to feel as if it
49 might be an Alsa issue and specific to USB audio. As I've gotten no
50 response from the xine-users list and this seems to be beyond the
51 typical Gentoo issue I suppose I might try those folks, assuming no
52 one else here has any experiments for me to try.
53
54 Thanks again for your help.
55
56 Cheers,