From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Changing CFLAGS
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:45:25
1 Hi there!
2
3 My motherboard or CPU just died, I am using a replacement system
4 for a while. It's an Athlox-XP, while I had an AMD-64 before.
5 I did not use 64 bit mode, but I have -march=k8 in my CFLAGS,
6 and get lots of illegal instructions. Seems I need to re-compile
7 everything with different CFLAGS, maybe -mcpu=k8 maybe this time
8 as I am planning to re-activate the old system some time.
9
10 What would be the best way to do this? I thought about unpacking
11 a stage1 tarball, changing CFLAGS, calling bootstrap.sh and doing
12 an emerge -e world, but this would overwrite things in /etc and
13 clutter my file system with more things I do not really want,
14 like creating entries in /dev. I would rather like to keep the
15 current setup as it is.
16
17 I think that I saw a howto once about what to do in such a case,
18 but at that time I did not need it, and now I cannot find it.
21 BTW: What exactly are the benefits from using march instead of
22 mcpu? Is there a noticeable difference in speed anyway? With mcpu
23 I would not have the trouble I am having now...
24
25 Alex
26 --
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list