From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 20:28:12
1 hitachi303 wrote:
2 > Am 25.02.2021 um 17:13 schrieb Andreas Fink:
3 >> On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 15:15:55 -0000 (UTC)
4 >> Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 2021-02-25, hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> I found it to be helpful to de-install as many programs as possible
9 >>>> before starting the update and the first emerge --sync. This
10 >>>> reduces the
11 >>>> amount of conflicts by a considerable amount.
12 >>>
13 >>> Yes, Definitely. If you can, uninstall anything "big" that you can
14 >>> live without temporarily: LibreOffice, Chromium, Qt, KDE, X11, Gnome,
15 >>> Cups, etc.
16 >>>
17 >>> Leave portage, sshd, Python, your init system, and GCC.
18 >>>
19 >>>> Stuff like libreoffice or thunderbird and so on and all of their
20 >>>> dependencies. Everything your system does not need to run but what
21 >>>> you need to be productive when you use your system. I use -av
22 >>>> --depclean for this.
23 >>>
24 >>>
25 >>
26 >> Can't you, instead of uninstalling anything big, just start with the
27 >> system set for the upgrade?
28 >> emerge -auvDN @system
29 >>
30 >> Once the system set is updated you can assume of being in a rather sane
31 >> state, where a world upgrade should just work(TM).
34 > In theory this should work. My experience is that it does not. I have
35 > had a couple of time when I couldn't do an emerge -auvDN @system
36 > because of blocks but when trying to do a emerge -auvDN @world portage
37 > could solve the issue with the blocks.
42 I've ran into that before too.  If it were me, I'd remove/rename the
43 world file, update the rest in steps and start reinstalling packages
44 from the old world file.  Once updated, the run depclean to see what you
45 might want to keep or can be removed as no longer needed.
46
47 One issue with doing @system alone, it pulls in even KDE packages if you
48 have KDE installed and have certain USE flags enabled.  Then those
49 trigger other packages that @system normally wouldn't touch or even
50 consider.  That can lead to a catch 22 or a circular problem that emerge
51 can't work through.  I don't use Gnome but wouldn't be surprised if the
52 same happens with it either.  It may be to a lesser degree or could even
53 be worse.
54
55 This is one of those 6 of one and half dozen of the other.  It's a
56 learning experience but can be time and effort consuming.  It will annoy
57 a lot of electrons too.  lol
58
59 Either way, I look forward to seeing how this turns out.  Just the major
60 changes in python alone should make this really fun.
61
62 Dale
63