From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 21:49:21
1 Am 19.01.2015 um 19:03 schrieb James:
2
3 > I think you drasitcally over_estimate the number of those happy linux
4 > distro users. I think if there was an easy way to perform a few typical
5 > gentoo installs (workstation, mail-server, web server, dns server,
6 > hardended*) then folks would migrate heavily towards gentoo.
7 >
8 > I think Alan and his ansible_installs has the mindset for an experimentail
9 > gentoo-ansible install engine; not for all possible tweaked installs but
10 > certainly some of more (amd64) common installs. The questions is will
11 > someone who get anisble_based_gentoo_install working be afforded an
12 > "encouraging mechanism" to set up such a limited experimental installation
13 > semantic for new gentoo installs?
14
15 I learned my first steps with ansible around these ansible-playbook(s):
16
17 https://github.com/jameskyle/ansible-gentoo
18
19 Based on that I have done some changes and enhancements for my
20 (learning) needs and it was rather *easy* ...
21
22 For example changing init to systemd if you want to ... I plan writing
23 some patches to install to plain partitions instead of running LVM under
24 the hood as the original roles do (should be rather simple afaik)
25
26 The script(s) logs into the started VM (booted from live-media and with
27 a running sshd) ... partitions the disk, pulls latest stage3 ... does
28 the chroot-stuff etc etc / you define some settings in a file and let it
29 run.
30
31 The playbook and roles take up some MB here and it took about 30min to
32 install a full ~amd64 gentoo onto a VM that booted at first time (use
33 more recent hardware to improve ... I used an i7-2600 and KVM for the
34 VM). And this is *automated* ... so (nearly no ... my patches aren't
35 perfect yet) no manual intervention needed. And you can point it to some
36 physical machine as well, sure.
37
38 As the gentoo-installation is CLI-based and basically scriptable this is
39 really an interesting approach.
40
41 It definitely is worth more than only one thought to write some more
42 playbooks for specific use cases here.
43
44 And I am sure that if you gentoo-users with all your experience
45 contribute to such a project we would be able to get some cool
46 installation-playbooks cooked rather quickly ;-)
47
48 These installations would get people up and running within shorter time,
49 from there gentoo is still configurable as we know and like it.
50
51 Stefan