From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: XDM Start Faster
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2019 16:34:05
1 On 2019-12-10 00:51, Caveman Al Toraboran wrote:
2
3 > i login in text (no gui login). i think xdm is fundamentally a
4 > redundant concept that should not have existed as per occam's razor.
5
6 > i use i3, and start it by `startx`. i can auto-start startx upon
7 > login, but i like it better this way, as i may not always want gui
8 > stuff.
9
10 I agree with the feeling, and in fact I did the same for some years.
11 But this has the side effect that Xorg binary must be setuid root. Now,
12 from the POV of pure security, this is not any worse than having a
13 bonafide root daemon (xdm) run Xorg on your behalf. But I want to
14 minimize or even eliminate setuid binaries in general, so I keep track
15 of them; and this makes Xorg to be an annoying exception to be always
16 kept in mind.
19 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
20 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
21 To reply privately _only_ on Usenet and on broken lists
22 which rewrite From, fetch the TXT record for no-use.mooo.com.