From: "Anthony E. Caudel" <acaudel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 15:27:46
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 30 January 2007 18:26, Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>
5 >> snip
6 >>
7 >>>> And OOo only takes 5½ hours to compile.. :p
8 >>> Not on my 1GHz G4 iBook, for which there are no binary packages
9 >>> available. It takes around 15 hours :(
10 >> So when are the Openoffice people going to break it into separate
11 >> packages (Write, Calc, etc.) like KDE did? This would get rid of
12 >> that nonsense of 15 hrs for a single package build.
13 >
14 > haha, good joke, nice one, you just made my day.
15 >
16 > Oh wait, you mean you're serious? Erm, well, I once did have a peek into
17 > the OOo makefiles and what I saw there was .... scary. If no-one has
18 > had the courage so far to separate out the packages, I really wouldn't
19 > hold it against them.
20 >
21 > alan
25 LOL! Hadn't realized it was that bad. Wonder who the culprit is? The
26 original German group that wrote it or Sun when they got their hands on it.
27
28 Tony
31 Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary
32 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
33 -- Benjamin Franklin
34 --
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list