From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox 38.1.0 :-(
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 19:20:44
1 Am Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:23:03 +0000
2 schrieb Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>:
3
4 > Hello, Gentoo.
5
6 Hello,
7
8 > Over the course of the last 24 hours, Firefox 38.1.0 became stable in
9 > portage, so I merged it in.
10 >
11 > What a mistake!
12 >
13 > All my existing configuration (including for NoScript+), all my
14 > bookmarks, all record of previous visits to site - gone, deleted,
15 > vanished. I'm not happy about that.
16
17 I'm sorry. All I can say is that I have never had anything like that happen
18 to me, and I've been using the ~amd64 versions for a while now (so I'm on 39.0
19 at the moment).
20
21 > The usability of the program has gone down, down, down. Not a lot seems
22 > to work properly, anymore. For example, it used to be that you could
23 > mark a selection of "your" cookies then delete them in one operation.
24 > Now you have to mark a single cookie and delete it, mark the next cookie
25 > and delete it, ....
26
27 Why do you delete cookies manually in the first place? Do none of the many
28 cookie manager addons available for Firefox suite your needs? I use
29 "Self-Destructing Cookies" myself, which by default deletes a website's cookies
30 as soon as the tab is closed (the other two options are "when Firefox closes"
31 and "never"). (For so-called "Super-Cookies" there's also "BetterPrivacy".)
32
33 > Even the screen area where the current URL is
34 > displayed is now displayed in low-contrast miniscule type, so that I can
35 > barely read it.
36
37 Does the font configuration not suffice? I see a "minimum font size" setting
38 there. Maybe it won't throw everything else out of whack.
39
40 > What on earth are the upstream developers thinking about? Destroying
41 > somebody's configuration is not a nice thing to do.
42
43 I would assume that it is a bug and thus not intentional.
44
45 > I've a feeling that all this must have been discussed here quite
46 > recently, so apologies if I'm dredging up old stuff. Still, a
47 > recommendation as to how I might proceed would be welcome. Should I go
48 > back to 31.8.0 and stay there, or would I be better going with some fork
49 > of firefox?
50
51 As always, use whatever suits you. Personally, I'm sticking with Firefox for a
52 variety of reasons, one of them being that Mozilla is one of the few web
53 technology organisations that actually seems to care about user privacy.
54 *Without* resorting to sticking with -- let alone reverting to -- stone age
55 technologies.
56
57 > Has my old config/cookies/... actually been physically destroyed, or is
58 > it just being disregarded by 38.1.0? Looking at my ~/.mozilla/firefox
59 > doesn't give me much hope.
60
61 If you don't have backups, I'm sorry. Data loss is never fun.
62
63 > Yours, in anger.
64
65 HTH
66 --
67 Marc Joliet
68 --
69 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
70 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup