From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Safeguarding strategies against SSD data loss
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 00:56:15
1 On Oct 28, 2014 12:38 AM, "Rich Freeman" <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
4 > <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > Am 27.10.2014 um 16:36 schrieb Rich Freeman:
6 > >> and a boot
7 > >> partition as I don't think grub supports it - it could be a bit of a
8 > >> PITA for a single-drive system.
9 > >
10 > > nope. But I don't see any reason to use zfs with a single drive either.
11 >
12 > True, not needing to use FUSE does simplify things, but I don't
13 > believe that grub supports zfs, so you would need a boot partition.
14 > Granted, a newer laptop would need that for EFI anyway.
17 > >> However, it is probably more mature
18 > >> than btrfs overall, and it certainly supports send.
19 > >
20 > > and if your send stream is corrupted, your data is gone. That is why I
21 > > prefer cp&tar to backup my zfs data tank.
24 > If you ONLY save the send stream without checking it, then you're
25 > right that you're depending on its integrity. I'd certainly be
26 > nervous about doing that with btrfs, probably less so with zfs but I
27 > can't really vouch for it. I don't know what ability either
28 > filesystem gives you to verify a send stream in isolation.
29 >
30 > Now, what you could do is receive the send stream into a replica
31 > filesystem on the far end, and not consider the backup successful
32 > until this is done. That would look like a btrfs-to-btrfs rsync
33 > operation, but it would be much more efficient in terms of IO. It
34 > would require a daemon on the far end to run the receive operation and
35 > report back status, vs just dumping the files via scp, etc.
36 >
37 > Does anybody know if either btrfs or zfs send includes checksums? I
38 > know the data is checksummed on disk, but I have no idea if it is
39 > protected in this way while serialized.
42 zfs has checksum for the send stream. That's why you can send the stream to
43 a file, and fail to import the file sometime later if something changes in
44 that file.
45
46 So, always do a filesystem replication. Don't just save the send stream.
47 Have the replica make the snapshots visible in poolroot/.zfs, and backup
48 the whole filesystem using a deduping backup system.
49
50 Rgds,
51 --