From: James Colannino <gentoo@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] More memory?
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 23:49:25
1 Grant wrote:
2
3 >>Swap enables the system to have more memory pages for the running processes. If
4 >>the OS doesn't have enough memory for a process, it'll let the process know, or
5 >>simply kill it.
6 >>
7 >>If you don't want swap to be used, disable it. Remember that the system also
8 >>uses physical ram for caching disk, not only for user processes.
9 >>
10 >>If you don't use swap, your 'inactive' processes won't go into swap. Maybe the
11 >>OS prefers having more disk into cache than a process in physical ram. (there
12 >>must be rules in Linux for that). Then, when your usually-inactive process is
13 >>awakened, the OS must move its pages from disk to RAM, shown as a slow answer
14 >>from that process.
15 >>
16 >>Reaching your memory limit without swap, is the same as reaching the memory
17 >>limit with swap (physical + disk). Someone who maintains a system, must select a
18 >>reasonable amount of 'swap' according to the expected behaviour of that system.
19 >>What do you want, be able of running more processes than your physical RAM
20 >>enables -use swap- against some slowness, or keep on your physical RAM limit,
21 >>keeping a normal system speed for all processes?
22 >>
23 >>conclusion: you're absolutely free for disabling your swap. System doesn't
24 >>require swap for "some reason", as you said.
28 >OK, I'm getting a better grip on memory and swap thanks to you guys.
29 >Let me ask this another way though.
30 >
31 >I doesn't seem like disabling swap is such a good idea, especially on
32 >a commercial server and especially when I'm going to be running a
33 >second instance of the OS inside VMware. What if my site gets a bunch
34 >of traffic for whatever reason all of a sudden? Maybe I'm compiling
35 >my kernel at the same time, and running all kinds of tests in the
36 >VMware'd OS. It seems like the swap needs to be there for times when
37 >the system is really strained and the memory fills up with active
38 >stuff. I remember when I was just starting with Gentoo I forgot to
39 >enable the swap and kept getting an out of memory error during the
40 >bootstrap.
41 >
42 >Maybe a better way to phrase my question is: Is it possible to set my
43 >server up so it will use swap when it needs it and then free it back
44 >up when it doesn't need it anymore? What makes me think that is
45 >necessary is the fact that I see a very snappy response when browsing
46 >my site after a fresh reboot. After it's been up for awhile, the swap
47 >starts to fill and it slows down. Rebooting clears out the swap and
48 >the snaps return.
49 >
50 >All I'm trying to do here is keep my site nice and fast.
54 Hey Grant, this may not help, but I'm reading posts about disk cache
55 going into physical memory, and I thought of something. Since you get
56 better performance when you reboot, try this command as root:
57
58 #sync
59
60 See if that helps. That basically flushes the cache and sends it to
61 disk where it would eventually go anyway. If so, then you know what's
62 hogging all your memory.
63
64 James
67 My blog: http://www.crazydrclaw.com/
68 My homepage: http://james.colannino.org/
69
70 "Black holes are where God divided by zero." --Steven Wright
74 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list