From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange cron messages...
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 00:15:44
1 Neil Walker writes:
2
3 > Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > I just let it grow and grow and grow... on my server, which is
5 > > running Gentoo for seven years now, it has 27,000 entries, and is at
6 > > 24 MB.
7 >
8 > Wow! Do you even need a server? It can't be doing much. My servers top
9 > that in a few hours. ;)
10
11 It's a P3 with 500 MHz and 256 MB of RAM only. But I think I need it. It
12 is my internet gateway, CVS and mail server, has CUPS and FTP, and an
13 apache running, mainly for my little company's wiki, but also for having
14 some little space for stuff to post. It also serves multimedia data over
15 NFS for the other systems in the house. And it's my name server, with all
16 those virtual machines I have some dozen systems here.
17
18 But there are not many user logins on that machine. It's mostly myself
19 logging in and using the ISDN line for remote some administration.
20
21 But... what the heck are your servers doing?
22
23 Wonko