From: Frank Pikelner <frank.pikelner@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] MySQL server hardware recommendation
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:35:11
1 I wanted to ask if anyone on the list is running a large MySQL database and
2 for their server hardware recommendations. The servers are anticipated to
3 have a DB of 10-20GB, with about 5000-10000 clients (automated). The
4 database will be mostly used for updates to the data making up most of the
5 operations. We are considering using Dual AMD Opteron processors and at a
6 minimum of about 4GB memory (PC2700 or PC3200 - not sure if the extra
7 bandwidth will add much performace). One of the items I'm debating is the
8 type of RAID controller to use that is well supported under Gentoo. I'm also
9 contemplating whether to consider a SATA2 or a SCSI subsystem.
10
11 Just as a side not, I've always wondered the type of hardware used by Google
12 as they have been very successful in using smaller inexpensive boxes
13 according to the rumors that have circulated on the Internet.
14
15 Any vendor recommendations would also be welcome.
16
17 Thank you,
18
19 Frank