From: "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel HDA soundcard, microphones and skype
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 12:41:48
1 On Tuesday 10 October 2006 07:25, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 10 October 2006 12:42, Matthew R. Lee wrote:
3 > > I'm trying to get skype set up on my new laptop and I've run into a
4 > > problem the sound card (Intel HDA) is setup and working (with mplayer
5 > > and amarok) I've installed skype and the interface is working. There
6 > > nothing wrong with the headset (it works on my old laptop). At first
7 > > I kept getting "problem with sound device" error but I've solved that
8 > > but the microphone doesn't appear to be working. When I make a test
9 > > call I can hear the skype lady but I can't here my message when they
10 > > try to play it back
11 > > I've checked the alsa mixer and the microphone is set to capture and
12 > > the volume up. I don't know what I'm missing. Sofar I havn't turned
13 > > up anything in the wiki or forums.
14 > > Has anybody got skype woking with this soundcard. Perhaps you could
15 > > post your .asoundrc for me to have a look
16 >
17 > Skype is easy to set up, IF you have alsa working right...
18 >
19 > Using alsamixer, turn the mic vol right up, can you hear your own voice
20 > in the headset? Make sure you have set the correct mic device,
21 > select "Mic Boost" if it's there. Last resort is to deselect other
22 > channels one by one and see if one of them activates the mic. I once
23 > had a chipset where the mic wouldn't work if a certain IEC958 feature
24 > was on. Until you hear your own voice in the speaker it will never work
25 >
26 > Then in skype make sure you select the alsa/oss option as appropriate,
27 > it's somewhere in the Options. Skype uses alsa, make sure you do have
28 > full support in the kernel
29 >
30 > alan
31
32 I'm getting nothing from the microphone.
33 In alsamixer I only have four bars: Master PCM Line Mic
34 With all at 90-100% The mic doesn't work with line or mic set to capture
35 Is there a way to fix that?
36
37 Matt
40 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%