From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating our live servers. I'm scared!
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:04:58
1 On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 11:38 AM, Nick Khamis <symack@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hello Everyone,
4 >
5 > Just got a ticket assigned to me where we need to update our production
6 > servers.
7 >
8 > uname -a
9 > Linux noun 3.4.9-gentoo #2 SMP Sat Oct 13 09:35:07 EDT 2012 x86_64
10 > Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.60GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
11 >
12 > eselect
13 > [18] hardened/linux/amd64 *
14 >
15 > I don't think they have been updated since the initial install and
16 > wanted to get a little feedback on some safe practices and methods
17 > that should be performed before and while doing so.
18 >
19 > Thanks in Advance,
20 >
21 > Nick.
24 Personally, I would recommend pulling an rsync (databases and such might
25 cause a hiccup with that) of one of them to a nonessential system and
26 testing updating there, building packages (assuming matching use flags,
27 etc, across your systems), documenting the pitfalls you run into as you go.
28 After you're up to date there, run through and test it again from a base
29 copy, then test the actual services to ensure changes to them don't hose
30 your environment's configuration, and once that's good, it then depends
31 entirely on what failover, or downtime allowances you have available. If
32 you have no failover to rely on, and can't afford enough downtime to update
33 the system in place from the packages you've built, clone each off, update,
34 then migrate the changes that've occured in the time between... time
35 consuming, and requires a lot of care, but doable.
38 Poison [BLX]
39 Joshua M. Murphy