From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to stem the flood of new packages?
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:25:09
1 On 2013-02-11, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 11/02/2013 23:55, Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> <whinge>
4 >> I tried doing an "emerge -auvND world" today. It's been three days
5 >> since the previous update, and today portage wants to update 1 package
6 >> and install _35_new_ones_.
7 >>
8 >> Seriously? 35 new packages that I have to install on Monday that I
9 >> didn't have to have the previous Friday? A few of them are virtual
10 >> packages, but the vast majority are actual package that I neither want
11 >> nor need (other than to satisfy a requirement imposed by a new USE
12 >> flag that defaults to "on" when it should have defaulted to "off").
13 >>
14 >> I realize that every developer thinks think their pariticular package
15 >> is the greatest thing ever and should be installed on everything since
16 >> the TI SR-54 calculator, but this seems a bit silly...
17 >> </whinge>
18 >
19 > I know you put in the <whinge> tags, but I'll take it as obvious you are
20 > also asking a real question :-)
21
22 Well, sort of.
23
24 > What new stuff did you get?
25
26 As best I can remember: a handful of bluetooth stuff, openldap,
27 consolekit, policykit, thunar, wxwidgets, libnotify, fam, a bunch of
28 gst plugins, and another dozen or two things pulled in by those.
29
30 > Did you change your profile to 13.0 and now have a ton of USE flags set
31 > on that were previously off?
32
33 It didn't occur to me until afterwards, but yes, the "new" USE flags
34 did correspond with the change to a 13.0 desktop profile. I'm now
35 wondering if my 10.0 profile was the non-desktop "generic" one. When
36 I saw all the "new" USE flags, my assumption was that the USE flags
37 had just been added -- but now I'm betting they were newly enabled by
38 the 13.0 profile.
39
40 > I've been noticing a trend over the last two years or so where devs
41 > take a big packages and break it up into several smaller ones that
42 > are easier to manage, sort of like monolithic X to modular X on a
43 > smaller scale. This is a good thing overall.
44
45 Yes, that's a good thing (I think we all remember when it happened in
46 a big way to X a while back). This didn't _seem_ to be that. I'm
47 pretty sure things like thunar, openldap, bluetooth stuff, and various
48 others have been separate packages all along.
49
50 I think the switch to the 13.0 profile was probably the underlying
51 cause.
54 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Oh, I get it!!
55 at "The BEACH goes on", huh,
56 gmail.com SONNY??